A blog about my favourite movies, music, and TV.

17 April 2009

Ruby Turner

I got tickets for one of Ruby's shows in May so I thought I would share a few of her early hits as they seem so hard to track down! While she didn't enjoy a great deal of commercial success during her pop years with Jive Records, she did have two Top 40 hits in the UK with If You're Ready (Come Go With Me) - a duet with Jonathan Butler in 1986, as well as I'd Rather Go Blind in 1987. In 1990 she had a #1 US R&B hit with It's Gonna Be Alright, a single from her album Paradise. Her sole hit album was a collection of Motown covers which hit #22 in 1988. Since then Ruby has had a successful career touring by herself and with Jools Holland. My personal favourites are the early ones, especially Bye Baby. I'm In Love (single pictured above) was covered by the Pointer Sisters for their 1988 album Serious Slammin'.

I thoroughly recommend the Best Of Ruby Turner, Emporio Records, 1995! Sadly all her Jive recordings are well out of print, but as promised here's a few gems to enjoy from the mid 80's...

Enjoy

No comments: